Skilltrade has provided Hydrographic Survey training since 2000. The Category B course in Hydrographic Surveying began in 2007 in coöperation with STC in Rotterdam.
The course was first recognized by the FIG/IHO/ICA International Board on Standards of Competence for Hydrographic Surveyors and Nautical Cartographers (IBSC) in 2008. Since it began,
has trained over 230 individuals from various countries around the world in the field of hydrographic survey. The Category B course has been enthusiastically welcomed and endorsed by a range of international authorities and market leaders operating in the marine oil and gas industry, coastal and port environment and hydrographic fields. In January 2014 the course was transferred to a new location, the Nova Nautical College in IJmuiden. Addressing demands of a changing industry while adhering to ISBC requirements, the program is under continuous revision.
8 Reasons to Choose Skilltrade CAT B training
1. The Skilltrade Hydrographic Survey Category B Course complies with Publication S-5B of the FIG/IHO/ICA International Board on Standards of Competence for Hydrographic Surveyors and Nautical Cartographers (IBSC), Category B and is fully recognized as such.
2. All lectures are developed and taught by specialized and experienced field professionals.
3. In addition to online instructor-led classes there are on-site practical work, guest lectures, site visits and workshops from various collaborating survey
companies and survey departments. For example Port of Rotterdam, Dredging/Port project, van Oord – Workshop visit Moerdijk (project preparation), Periplus (Seabed interpretation ), The
Hydrographic Service of the Royal Netherlands Navy (Tides, Law of the and Navigation Charts), iXblue (inertial navigation), either CARIS (data management) or Rijkswaterstaat
(offshore surveying) and a certified QPS QINSy & Qimera survey software.
4. The course includes a selection of practical exercises such as tidal measurements, speed of sound measurements, Law of the Sea discussions, MBES calibration, gyro
and IMU calibration, dGPS measurements, land survey, positioning, land survey, levelling and inertial navigation. All concluded with an Educational Survey Project to complete the
entire hydrographic data cycle.
5. The Skilltrade Handbook of Offshore Surveying (volumes I, II and III) is a comprehensive compendium which is an indispensable reference for the modern day hydrographer. These books are the basis of the study material for this course and are included in the course fee.
6. Diversity. The class of students represent a diverse group of individuals coming from different backgrounds each bringing with them their own experiences allowing students to share and learn from each other. Typically the group consists of harbour surveyors, engineers, offshore surveyors, dredging surveyors and beginning surveyors. This provides for a rich learnng environment.
7. Recordings of the lectures are available offline. The programme is demanding and participants are expected to study and prepare outside of course hours. By providing offline recordings of the lectures make is easier to study without having to take time off from work. The course requires taking 9 exams and a series of assignments and our course coördinator is available to monitor and guide students.
8. Our schedule and modes of delivery have been adapted to the minimize the effects of the pandemic and allow flexibility for the student with a rotation of two weeks online, instructor led classes and two weeks of offline e-learning and self-study during the theoretical phase. Exams can be taken in one’s own home environment using our digital proctoring tools. This is followed by four weeks of on-site practical work and concluded with four weeks of field training at a selected, supervised, project.